Vehicle Registration and Licence


Every motor vehicle must be duly registered with the registering Authority in whose jurisdiction the owner of the vehicle normally resides, or has place of business where the vehicle is normally kept.


The application for registration must be made within 7 days of taking the vehicle delivery along with the following documents:

  • Sale certificate
  • Valid insurance certificate
  • Proof of address
  • Customs clearance certificate in case the vehicle is imported / income tax clearance certificate
  • Appropriate fee (see prescribed fee units)
  • Any other document (entry tax, octroi, etc) that a state government may prescribe.

Additionala Information

  • The initial certificate of registration is valid for a period of 15 years in case of non-transport vehicles, and thereafter is renewed for 5 years at time subject to the vehicles roadworthiness (fitness).
  • In case of transport vehicles, the certificate is valid for 2 years for a new vehicle; one year each after that.
  • If a vehicle is to be transported from a place other than the place of registration, the journey period is excluded.
  • At the time of registration or transfer of registration, the vehicle is required to be produced before the RTO/RA.

Changes of Address

1. If the owner of a motor vehicle changes his residence or place of business, he must inform the R.A of his new address within 30 days.

(In case the new address falls in the juridistriction of another R.A (but in the same state) both RTOs must be informed).

2. In the event of a temporary move to another state, if the stay is likely to exceed one year, a new registration number must be obtained, from the new R.A

(If the stay Is likely to be less than one year but more than 3 months, theR.A in whose jurisdiction yhe vehicle has moved must be intimated within one month of such a move).

Temporaray Registaration

A temporary registration is granted for a period of one month for the purpose of body building in cases where only a chassis has been provided by the manufacturer.
If the vehicle is detained further in the workshop for completion of the work, further extensions (S) may be granted by the R.A as required.

Transfer of Ownership

1. When the ownership of a vehicle changes, the original owner (transfer) must inform the R.A with whom the vehicle was registered, within 14 days.

2. In case the new owner resides or has a place of business in the jurisdiction of any other R.A, such an R.A will also have to be informed by the transferor.

3. If the R.A in whose jurisdiction the vehicle is being transferor in another stage, then the transferor must obtain a No Objection Certificate (NOC) from his R.A and forward it to the RTO/R.A in whose jurisdiction the new owner stays. And application for NOC must be accompanied by :

  • A certified copy of certificate of registration.
  • A certified copy of insurance certificate.
  • Evidence of payment of all taxes up-to- date.

The new owner (transferor) must inform his RTO/R.A within 30 days and send the certificate of registration for the endorsement of ownership his name.
The certificate of registration must be accompanied by valid insurance, evidence of tax payment, proof of address and NOC if required.


Learner's License

Any person who wishes to drive a motor vehicle has to first obtain a leaner’s license for the purpose of learning and then has to be tested before a permanent license is granted; a person should not be less than 20 years of age if he wants to learn to drive a transport vehicle.


1. Proof of age: Documents accepted for proof of age are Birth/school leaving certificate, passport, etc.

2. Proof of residence: This can be supported by documents like the passport, domicile, ration card, electoral roll, electricity or telephone bill, etc

3. Medical certificate: It is required only in case of transport vehicle and can be obtained from any registered medical practitioner in the prescribed form.

4. Photograph: 3 copies of passport size.

5. Fee

The application must be made to the RTO in whose jurisdiction the applicant normally resides or carries on business. A learner’s license is valid only for a period of six months. If the driving test for permanent license is not passed during this period, of fresh learners license needs to be obtained.

No Learners's License shall be Granted

In order to drive a transport vehicle unless the applicant has held a driving license of LMV for at least 1 year.

Permanant Lcense

A permanent license of the appropriate class will be granted after the successful completion of a driving test conducted by the RTO.


1. Photograph: 3 copies of photo passport size.

2. Fee

3. Valid learners license

The test for the issue of the permanent license is conducted after a minimum of 30 days from the date of issue the learner’s license in case of failure, a retest can be requested but not before a period of 7 days. After the age of 50, the license will be renewed for a period of 5 years at the time. It is necessary for a driver of a passenger vehicle (bus, taxi) to obtain PSV endorsement on his driving license before driving such a vehicle.


The application for renewal must be accompanied by:

1. The driving license

2. Medical certificate in case of transport vehicle

3. 3 copies of photograph

4. Renewal fees

A. An expired license is valid for 30 days and can be renewed during this period of grace without a penalty.

B. A license expired for more than 30 days can be renewed on payment of penalty, provided the application is made within a period of 5 years from the date of expiry. The penalty is charged at    Rs.10/per year or a part thereof.

C. The license can be renewed through any RTO in the country irrespective of the place of its issue. If a driver changes his place of residence, a new address must be incorporated in his license.


If a license is defaced or lost, a duplicate license can be issued on the production of:

1. The license number

2. 3 copies of photograph

3. Fee

4. Traffic NOC

5. Affidavit of D/L

A. The application for duplicate license must be made to the same RTO which has issued the original license.

B. In case of the license number is not available, or the application is to be made to any other RTO, the procedure as applicable for a fresh license (learner license, driving test, etc) will have to be followed.